All the time since I visited Paris a few years ago I’ve been thinking back to Montmartre and a delicious strawberry galette that I managed to find in a small alley. It had that perfect amount of crunch, the strawberries tasted so fresh and just being in Paris enhanced the flavours a couple of steps as well.
A few days ago I bought a kilo strawberries from a local food truck. It’s peak season for strawberries now so you can find really tasty ones for a good price. With the Montmartre galette in mind I spent a few hours in the kitchen to try and find the perfect dough and get that perfect crunch that I like. You can see the result above, I’m quite happy as it’s the first galette I ever made and I think the recipe is quite good as well. I added a bit of almonds to make it even more tastier.
Recipe: Strawberry Galette
Summary: A crunchy strawberry galette inspired by the amazing pastries in Paris. Quite easy to make and absolutely delicious.
- 300 ml all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 150 gram butter
- 3 tablespoons ice cold water
- 200 grams strawberries
- Zest and juice from 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoons potato starch
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons almond flakes
- Start with mixing flour with sugar and salt in a large bowl. Slice the butter in thin slices and use your hands to mix it with the flour. Sprinkle the cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time and mix around with a fork until you get a nice pastry dough. Shape to a small ball, put on a plastic film and flatten it a bit with your hand. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and let it rest for a few minutes. Use a rolling pin and roll it out on a slightly floured surface. The dough should be around 1/2 cm thick. Put the dough on a baking sheet which you prepared with parchment paper.
- Cut your strawberries and mix with lemon zest and juice, sugar, vanilla sugar and potato starch in a bowl. Let it sit for around 10 minutes.
- Add the strawberries on top of the dough and don’t forget to leave a border of 3-4 cm around the dough so you can fold it later.
- Fold the dough over the strawberries.
- Whisk the egg and brush the dough. Add some almond flakes and sugar on top of the dough.
- Bake for 35 minuter in 200 Celcius degrees.
Ready in: 35 minutes