I’m baking a lot with berries at the moment ss the Strawberry season is peaking now and it’s easy to find local ones. This delicious Strawberry & Blueberry Tarte which is filled with vanilla custard is one of my summer favourites. Just look at it, it looks so fresh, colorful and just screams summer. I’m sure I will bake this one several times for the upcoming summer season!
Recipe: Strawberry & Blueberry Tarte
Summary: A summery Strawberry & Blueberry Tarte filled with vanilla custard. Easy to make and absolutely delicious and perfect for summer gatherings.
- 300 ml all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 150 gram butter
- 3 tablespoons ice cold water
- 150 g blueberries
- 200 g Strawberries
- 500 ml Milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 7 egg yolks
- 125 ml sugar
- 75 ml cornstarch
- 50 g butter
- Start mixing flour with sugar and salt in a large bowl. Slice the butter in thin slices and use your hands to mix it with the flour. Sprinkle the cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time and mix around with a fork until you get a nice pastry dough. Shape to a small ball, put on a plastic film and flatten it a bit with your hand. Cover the dough and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and let it rest for a few minutes. Use a rolling pin and roll it out on a slightly floured surface. The dough should be around 1/2 cm thick. Put the dough in pie form, 18-20cm in diameter and use your hands with some pressure to make the dough cover the bottom and the edges of the form.
- Bake for 35 minuter in 200 Celsius degrees.
- Start with opening the vanilla pod using a knife and try to remove the seeds from the pod. Put the pod and seeds in a pot with the milk and leave for 15 minutes. Remove the vanilla pod.
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar and corn starch fluffy and add the milk to the mixture och mix until smooth.
- Put the mixture back in the pot and let it simmer on low heat, stir slowly until the mixture starts getting thicker. Cool down the cream, you can put the pot in some ice cold water.
- Add the mixture on the pie crust that now is cold. Decorate with berries and serve.
Ready in: 35 minutes